A Struggle for Independence

For the past couple months, I have kept up with my goals. I have tried to read about 30 pages or an hour everyday, however, it has been difficult to do that recently because of AP exams. I'm challenging myself with this book by making time to read it because it's also helping me understand some aspects of world history. I started my AP title a few weeks ago and I'm almost finished. I chose A Doll's House by Henrik Ibsen because it's about the struggles of Victorian middle-class marriage and it's written as a play, so I can decipher the feelings of the characters, instead of the author explaining them to me. This book has 122 pages, but it's a hard read with difficult vocabulary and syntax, so it has taken me a little while longer to finish. 
A Doll's House has given me interesting insight into the Victorian times and it was filled with thought-provoking lessons and morals. One of these lessons that stood out the most was when Nora realizes that her marriage to Torvald has hindered her opportunities. Nora says, "I have been performing tricks for you, Torvald. That's how I survived. You wanted it like that. You and Papa have done me a great wrong. It's because of you I've made nothing of my life" (Ibsen 43). She realizes that the sole purpose of her existence was to please others, especially men, like her husband and father, rather than herself. After coming to this conclusion, Nora leaves Torvald and becomes an independent woman. This novel outlines the hardships and unfairness involved in marriages in the olden days. The author expresses this message by showing how women felt and their personal emotions. 
I would definitely recommend this book to others because it has a powerful meaning and shows the reader that they shouldn't be afraid to be themselves or to get rid of damaging things or people in their lives. 

Comments

  1. Do you think this problem still pertains to women today?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nora's action made me respect her a lot because she went against society to stand up for herself and her beliefs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the quote, because when you get married it really does hinder your opportunities.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Passion's Revival

An Audacity to Appreciate